New IRS Contract Creates Opportunities for ASL Interpreter and CART Writer Freelancers and Service Schedulers
New IRS Nationwide Opportunities for ASL Interpreters and CART Writers
In March 2020, Translation Excellence, Inc., was awarded a five-year, task order style contract to provide Sign Language Interpretation (SLI) and Communication Access Realtime Translation (CART) services for the Internal Revenue Services (IRS). Under the IRS contract, the firm will provide service to Deaf and Hard of Hearing (DHOH) employees, applicants, guests, and visitors, at all IRS locations throughout the United States, Puerto Rico, and Guam.
Translation Excellence’s new IRS contract creates new opportunities for ASL Interpreters, CART Writers and Schedulers.
As described in its Statement of Work, the purpose of the IRS SLI and CART contract is to “ensure that DHOH [Deaf and Hard of Hearing] employees, applicants, guests, and visitors have equal access to everyday activities and can participate in all aspects of the (IRS) work environment.” Translation Excellence currently provides ASL interpretation and CART services to a variety of federal agencies, including the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), and several others. To keep pace with the increasing demand for our services, Translation Excellence plans to increase its in-house staff of ASL interpreters and CART professionals and expand its roster of ASL interpreter freelancers and CART writer freelancers who work on Translation Excellence projects as independent contractors (1099 consultants).
IRS Contract Opportunities for American Sign Language (ASL) Interpreters
The new contract with IRS provides many opportunities for skilled ASL freelancers who strive to provide services of the highest quality. Translation Excellence is primarily searching for sign language interpreters who have subject matter knowledge in the areas of accounting, finance, law, and tax policy, and who hold one or more of the following certifications:
- National Association of the Deaf (NAD) – Level III (Generalist), Level IV (Advanced), or Level V (Master) certification.
- National Interpreter Certification (NIC).
- Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (RID) – Comprehensive Skills Certification (CSC), Master
- Comprehensive Skills Certification (MCSC), Certificate of Interpretation (CI), Certificate of Transliteration (CT), Interpretation Certificate (IC), Transliteration Certificate (TC), RID Reverse Skills Certificate (RSC), RID Certified Deaf Interpreter (CDI), Oral Interpreting Certificate (OIC), Oral Transliteration Certificate (OTC) and RID Specialist Certification: Legal (SC:L) for legal interpreting.
We are also seeking specialists, including:
- Tactile (deaf/blind) interpreters who have any of the certifications listed in above.
- Legal Interpreters with a RID Specialist Certification: Legal (SC:L or CLIP-R).
- Certified Deaf Interpreters with a CDI credential.
In some cases, state certifications can be substituted for the above certifications. Translation Excellence also has positions for highly qualified, non-certified Sign Language Interpreters with at least three years of interpreting experience in a professional setting.
IRS Contract Opportunities for CART Writers
We are also seeking to bring on board additional CART Writers, the minimum qualifications for which include the following:
- Demonstrated knowledge; skills and abilities in the Core Competency areas defined by the National Court Reporters Association and a certified Real-time Reporter (CRR).
- A skill level equivalent to a senior journeyman expert with at least three years specialized experience.
- The ability to provide small venue CART services to be used by IRS staff and visitors.
IRS Contract Opportunities for Schedulers
To keep pace with its growing workload, Translation Excellence also anticipates bringing on board experienced SLI and CART Schedulers who have excellence customer service skills, extensive experience in providing services to D/HoH persons, and excellent attention to detail.
* * *
If you are an ASL interpreter or a captioner and would like to join our team, please click here. For any questions or to have a confidential discussion, please reach out to Nisar Nikzad at 720-325-0459 or firstname.lastname@example.org.